L-3 DPA originally developed WISE Technology to provide student monitoring and feedback for the LCHS. We then extended the technology to provide the basis for the Automatic Competence Assessment System and the capability to provide similar capabilities with any realtime simulation or control system, allowing WISE Technology software to be purchased by third parties for inclusion in their own systems if required.
WISE Technology is based on a specialized expert system [a form of artificial intelligence] that monitors the activity of the student or operator and the system they are operating. The knowledge database that the expert system uses comprises a large collection of rules entered by subject-matter experts and that are then combined to define specific patterns of activity or results. The data gathered while the operation or exercise is in progress can then be used to provide the following kinds of information and activities, depending on the mode of operation:
- Feedback directly to the operator
- Highlighting errors or inappropriate actions
- Advice regarding activities that have been or should be undertaken
- Highlighting of likely consequences of actions implemented when results fall outside the expected norms
- Access to support material that allows the operator to identify the cause of errors or reason why feedback has been displayed and then rectify the situation accordingly
- Assessment of the student's performance throughout an exercise